Thursday, December 20, 2012

Blog: 100 Days of Real Food

Here's a blog that I love:

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

It is such a simple blog that shows you how to easily make whole, clean food choices.  My favorite part is where she says that with a whole foods diet, you no longer need to count fat, calories, or carbs.  Because when you eat only wholesome foods, it all evens out.  Makes it seem so simple!

There's a full list of recipes and snack ideas too!

Here's an excerpt from the blog under the 100 Day Challenge:


What you CAN eat:

  1. Whole foods that are more a product of nature than a product of industry
  2. Lots of fruits and vegetables(we recommend that you shop for these at your local farmers’ market)
  3. Dairy products like milk, unsweetened yogurt, eggs, and cheese
  4. 100% whole-wheat and whole-grains (find a local bakery for approved sandwich bread and check the Understanding Grains post for more info)
  5. Seafood (wild caught is the optimal choice over farm-raised)
  6. Only locally raised meats such as pork, beef, and chicken (preferably in moderation)
  7. Beverages limited to water, milk, all natural juices, naturally sweetened coffee & tea, and, to help the adults keep their sanity, wine and beer!
  8. Snacks like dried fruit, seeds, nuts and popcorn
  9. All natural sweeteners including honey, 100% maple syrup, and fruit juice concentrates are acceptable in moderation
  10. Also check out the Recipes & Resources page for a more detailed list of meal options including links to recipes

What you CANNOT eat:

  1. No refined grains such as white flour or white rice (items containing wheat must say WHOLE wheat…not just “wheat”)
  2. No refined sweeteners such as sugar, any form of corn syrup, cane juice, or the artificial stuff like Splenda
  3. Nothing out of a box, can, bag, bottle or package that has more than 5 ingredients listed on the label
  4. No deep fried foods
  5. No “fast foods”

I was especially interested in the part that said "Nothing out of a box, can, bag, bottle or package that has more than 5 ingredients listed on the label".  Whew!  That was harder than I thought!  I often grab a snack from CVS on the way to work.  I couldn't find a fruit juice or smoothie with less than 5 ingredients.  And the only snacks I found were packages nuts and kettle corn.  My usual beef stick and cheese snack, that I once thought of as a healthy protein snack was very depressing.  Corn syrup in every beef stick!  

I'm not planning on going %100 real foods (I need a soda once and a while) but I like the idea of  opening my eyes to what's in the food I eat.  I will strive to make better choices for myself and the children in my care!

No comments:

Post a Comment